Friday, December 4, 2009

The Hour of Power - Update!


As you all know, yesterday we held the draw for the first ever CMB United Way Hour of Power.

The common-folk were awarded a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have a manager (or director!) be at their beck and call for one glorious hour.

Seven draws were conducted, as Josh had previously donated two hours of his time and, in response to the success of her raffle, Karin generously added a second hour of her time at the final hour.

The big winners are as follows:

Josh: One hour for Mary and one for Ben

Karin: One hour for Aaron and one for Joanne

Ryan: IMME (The entire unit)

Deb: Joanne

Lina: Adina

In an effort to get some idea of the back-breaking labour the managers will be subjected to during their hours, Aaron interviewed all the winners (yes, including himself) to try to get a taste of what they had in store for their newly acquired assistants. This is what they had to say:

Adina re: Lina

"My first inclination was to show Lina what it is that I do all day, but then I thought it might be more valuable to have her show me her job. Or, I might just have her design, write and send out Christmas cards to every translator that I work with."

Joanne re: Debbie

"I think I'll start by having Debbie wallpaper my cubicle with serene pictures. Then she'll pop off one key at a time on my keyboard and dust and clean them individually. She'll then archive the invitations for the past two years. Throughout the hour, I will also expect her to answer my phone 'Joanne's office. How may I help you?'"

Ben re: Josh


Aaron re: Karin

"Karin will be job shadowing me for one hour, during which time she will learn the joy of logging correspondence."

Mary re: Josh


Joanne re: Karin

"No comment."

The Issues Unit re: Ryan

In an effort to lessen the amount of back-breaking labour that IMME has in store for him, Ryan has tried convince the unit that the “Hour of Power” is actually a good mentoring opportunity. Fortunately, IMME sees through Ryan’s attempts to ‘spin’ this initiative and has been thinking long and hard about how to best optimize his time. IMME knows how much Ryan likes CCM, which is why they have been saving HBNs for him to log. Ryan will also be doing the afternoon scan and issues table – all while making time to get the unit coffee and tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment